ASTM International, a globally recognized leader in the development and delivery of international voluntary consensus standards, has recently published ASTM D7793-12 Standard Specification for Insulated Vinyl Siding. This comes after years of hard work by the Vinyl Siding Institute (VSI), Progressive Foam, and others.
You may wonder, ?why do we need standards?? Today, over 12,000 ASTM standards are used around the world to protect consumers, assuring that products have been thoroughly evaluated for safety, quality, functionality, and value. Establishing a standard for insulated vinyl siding is a huge step towards maintaining a high performance level for insulated vinyl siding products and protecting the consumers that purchase them.
What is the Insulated Vinyl Siding Standard?
The industry standard for insulated vinyl siding performance is ASTM D7793. Products in this category must meet all the requirements of the standard, which is accompanied by ongoing quality control. Any changes made to the standard must go through a group consensus.
What is the VSI Certified Insulated Vinyl Siding Program?
Insulated vinyl siding products that bear the Vinyl Siding Institute’s (VSI) Certified Insulated Vinyl Siding Label have been independently certified by a third-party, accredited quality control agency to meet or exceed ASTM D7793. All insulated vinyl siding certified through the VSI Product Certification Program also:
- Demonstrate a minimum thermal resistance, or R-value, of at least R-2.0, as verified by an independent quality control agency.
- Withstand the impacts of recommended installation procedures
- Lie straight on a flat wall and does not buckle under normal conditions
- Weather the effects of sunshine, rain and heavy winds of at least 110mph
- Meet manufacturers’ advertised specifications for length, width, thickness and gloss.
- Can be certified for color retention, as long as it meets or exceeds ASTM D7793
- Can be identified by a VSI Program logo or label that includes the words ?INSULATED VINYL SIDING?
For additional questions on the new insulated vinyl siding standard, please contact our customer service team at 330-756-3200.